hate this book and everything it promotes about entitlement complexes and codependent relationships and abusive egotistical assholes and ugh.
It’s a children’s book
Which makes it even worse.
This book encourages selfish, entitled behavior where this boy continues to ask for and take everything from the tree for his own use/gain until nothing but a stump remains. How is this a message we want to send to children?
Where is the positive concept?
Is it in the boy’s behavior? He continually shows up and asks for the tree to give to him. No basis or reasons why, he just asks for things from the tree because he knows the tree will provide. It starts by using the tree’s leaves and shade, harmless enough I’ll grant. But then it evolves to taking the tree’s apples, to finally cutting the tree down for wood? That has some seriously disturbing implications. He also never provides anything in return, even saying something simple like “thank you.” Not once.
Perhaps we can take positive message away from the tree itself? The tree gives to the boy because she loves him. Sure, that can’t hurt, can it? She needs him and loves him, even though she can’t provide the things he wants, she can give from herself so that he’ll be happy.
Except it’s a terrible concept. The “tree” (if we want to continue pretending the analogy isn’t supposed to extend to people) continues to give and give until there is NOTHING LEFT. Clearly this is a role model we can provide for young children.
Let’s not even start on the enforced gender roles, where the boy is constantly taking and the ‘girl’ is perpetually giving.
So. This is a children’s book, and I might show it to my kids, but only so I can teach them what NOT to do.
- zoysiaaa reblogged this from luckyeahshelsilverstein
- evanita reblogged this from spaghettitruck
- you-love-her-madly likes this
- birdinahurricane reblogged this from hiphopandfilmstock
- hiphopandfilmstock reblogged this from spaghettitruck
- amazinasianpersuasion likes this
- fishgeekery likes this
- every-being-matters likes this
- themoregayside reblogged this from minimalistfish
- themoregayside likes this
- iamtheeye42 likes this
- pouncings reblogged this from peaceypanic
- generatevalue likes this
- mind-vomiter reblogged this from spaghettitruck
- spaghettitruck reblogged this from coralpolypsandzooxanthellae
- spaghettitruck likes this
- swimmingsunrise reblogged this from coralpolypsandzooxanthellae
- swimmingsunrise likes this
- coralpolypsandzooxanthellae reblogged this from peaceypanic
- cantinjathisninja likes this
- tubbisthegreat reblogged this from peaceypanic
- minimalistfish reblogged this from peaceypanic
- minimalistfish likes this
- danielfizzle likes this
- peaceypanic reblogged this from cantinjathisninja
- peaceypanic likes this
- swallowmypink likes this
- dashofvodka likes this
- addictsadvocate reblogged this from itsmiccahy0
- addictsadvocate likes this
- fuckyouimben reblogged this from paigeerow
- paigeerow reblogged this from ghostwith-a-beatingheart
- pineapplepastel likes this
- thewaterdancer likes this
- pussynommertz likes this
- reimpose reblogged this from dead-queer
- dead-queer reblogged this from beadsandsmoke
- cmyers likes this
- comeonbebrave reblogged this from csouth
- breadkillingat reblogged this from breadkillingat
- mightyperfect reblogged this from crown-gold
- negrowithablog reblogged this from charlibaltimore
- raptorfingers likes this
- thendbegins reblogged this from licentious-babe
- aracelirenee likes this
- licentious-babe reblogged this from charlibaltimore and added:
- bbblockb reblogged this from crown-gold
- gcodegfb likes this
- crown-gold reblogged this from beadsandsmoke
- negrowithablog likes this